If you have recently undergone bariatric surgery, you are likely wondering what you can and cannot eat. One of the most important things to focus on is protein. Protein plays a vital role in helping your body heal after surgery, and it is essential for maintaining muscle mass and preventing weight regain. This article will discuss the importance of protein after bariatric surgery and provide tips for ensuring that you are getting enough!
The Importance of Protein after Bariatric Surgery
Protein is required for repairing and rebuilding tissue, including muscle. After bariatric surgery, your body will need protein to heal the cuts made during the procedure and rebuild any damaged or removed muscles. In addition, protein is necessary for maintaining bone density and preventing weight regain.
Most people who have undergone bariatric surgery will need to consume 60-70 grams of protein per day, significantly more than the average person. It is important to know your protein intake throughout the day and include high-quality protein sources, such as lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, legumes, and nuts.
Some Good Sources of Protein
Some people find it difficult to meet their protein needs after the surgery, particularly if they are not used to eating large amounts of protein. Here are some good sources of protein to help you meet your daily requirements:
- Foods like lean meats, fish, chicken, lentils, and tofu are all good protein sources and are low in calories.
- Include a protein powder in your diet. Protein powders can be mixed into liquids or added to oatmeal, pancakes, and smoothies.
- Snack on high-protein foods throughout the day, such as yogurt, cottage cheese, hard-boiled eggs, nut butter, jerky, and seeds.
- Cook with protein-rich ingredients, such as beans, quinoa, tempeh. You may even want to try a meat alternative, such as soy crumbles or ground flaxseed.
- Talk to your doctor about taking a protein supplement after bariatric surgery in Lubbock. Protein supplements can be an easy way to ensure that you get enough protein each day!
Focus on including high-quality protein sources in your diet and try to spread your protein intake throughout the day. This will help you heal and maintain muscle mass after surgery! If you are confused about whether bariatric surgery is right for you or are stressing over the protein intake, you must consult with a doctor or dietitian to help you out. You should also consider taking a protein supplement if needed.
Following these tips will help you ensure that you get enough protein in your diet after bariatric surgery. It plays a key role in preventing weight regain. By focusing on high-quality protein sources, you can ensure that your body has the nutrients it needs to heal and stay healthy after surgery!