A hernia is a medical condition that occurs when an organ or tissue pushes through a weak spot in the muscle or surrounding tissue. Hernias can be caused by many things, including coughing, straining, and obesity. If left untreated, a hernia can cause pain, discomfort, and even death. In this article, we will discuss the symptoms of a hernia and what happens if it is left untreated.
What is a Hernia, and What Are the Symptoms?
A hernia is a protrusion of an organ or tissue through the wall of the cavity that normally contains it. The most common type of hernia is an abdominal hernia, which occurs when part of the intestine protrudes through a weak spot in the abdominal muscle. It can also be caused by an enlarged prostate, which puts pressure on the bladder and urethra.
Symptoms of a hernia can include:
- A bulge or lump in the affected area.
- Pain or discomfort, especially when bending over, coughing, or lifting.
- A burning or aching sensation at the bulge.
- Weakness or pressure in the affected area.
If you have any of these symptoms, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as possible. You must also look for laparoscopic incisional hernia repair as this will help you to get well soon. It is a minimally invasive procedure used to treat hernias and can be performed as an outpatient procedure. This type of surgery can help you recover quickly and prevent serious health complications.
What Happens if You Don’t Treat Your Hernia?
If you don’t treat your hernia, the protrusion of tissue can become larger, and the surrounding muscles can weaken. This can cause serious health problems, such as:
- Incarcerated hernia: This happens when the protruding tissue becomes trapped and cannot be pushed back into place. It can be very painful and can lead to tissue death.
- Strangulated hernia: This happens when the blood supply to the protruding tissue is cut off. This can cause serious health problems and even death.
If you have a hernia, it’s important to see a doctor for hernia repair in Baltimore as soon as possible. Early diagnosis and treatment can prevent serious health problems. Your doctor will likely recommend surgery to repair the hernia, but in some cases, lifestyle changes and over-the-counter medication may be enough to treat the hernia.
With the help of the above article, you will now be able to understand what a hernia is, its symptoms, and most importantly, what happens if it is left untreated. Thus, it’s crucial that you see a doctor as soon as you can and get it treated to prevent any serious health complications.