Laser pigmentation removal is a medical procedure used to remove areas of pigmented skin. If you’re concerned about pigmented areas on your skin and have been contemplating laser pigmentation removal in Singapore, consult with Dr. David Ng today.
He will walk you through all that you need to know as far as laser pigmentation removal is concerned. Here are some basic pieces of information you may want to know beforehand anyway; the laser uses high-intensity light to break up the pigment in the skin.
The broken-up pigment is then absorbed by the body. The procedure is most effective on small areas of skin with dark pigment.
It is less effective on large areas of skin or skin with light pigment. The procedure is usually done in a doctor’s office or outpatient center.
It takes about 15 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the area being treated. There is usually no downtime after the procedure, but the treated area may be slightly red and swollen for a few hours.
The Benefits of Laser Pigmentation Removal
Laser pigmentation removal can be used to improve the appearance of age spots, sun spots, freckles, and other dark spots on the skin. It may also be recommended for removing marks from acne scars and chickenpox scars, birthmarks such as port-wine stains and hemangiomas, and other skin conditions that cause a loss of color.
Laser pigmentation removal can also be used to lighten the skin. This may be recommended for people who have had too much sun exposure or pigmented skin that they would like to lighten.
Laser pigmentation removal comes with several benefits, which best explains why most people opt for this procedure. These benefits include:
- No scarring: Unlike other procedures such as dermabrasion or chemical peels, laser pigmentation removal does not cause any scarring if done correctly. Besides, it is a minimally invasive procedure with little downtime
- Safe for different skin types: The laser can be adjusted to treat all skin types safely and effectively, making it suitable even for people with sensitive skin
- Reduced risk of pigmentation: Laser pigmentation removal helps to reduce the risk of developing new pigment spots and is also effective in reducing existing ones
How to Prepare for Your Laser Pigmentation Treatment
Just like any other medical procedure, there are a few things you should do to prepare for your laser pigmentation removal treatment. Preparing for your laser pigmentation removal is important to ensure that you get the best possible results from your treatment. Some things you can do to prepare for your treatment include:
- Avoid tanning: Tanning, whether from the sun or a tanning bed, can increase your risk of developing pigmentation problems. It is important to avoid tanning for at least four weeks before your treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure: Sun exposure can also increase your risk of developing pigmentation problems. It is important to avoid sun exposure for at least two weeks before your treatment.
- Stop taking certain medications: Certain medications, such as antibiotics and birth control pills, can increase your risk of developing pigmentation problems. If you are taking any of these medications, it is important to stop taking them for at least two weeks before your treatment.
- Shave the treatment area: Shaving the treatment area will help the laser penetrate the skin more evenly. It is important to shave the treatment area the night before your treatment.
What to Expect During and After Laser Pigmentation Treatment
During your laser pigmentation removal treatment, the doctor will use a small handheld device to administer short pulses of high-intensity light directly onto your skin. You may feel some discomfort or stinging during the treatment, but most people tolerate it well.
After your treatment, you will likely experience some redness and swelling in the treated area for a few hours. In some cases, this can last for up to 24 hours. It is also normal to have a mild sunburn sensation for several days after your treatment. There are also certain risks and side effects associated with laser pigmentation removal that you should be aware of before going ahead with the procedure. These include;
- Risk of infection: There is also a small risk of developing an infection after laser pigmentation removal.
- Side effects: Some common side effects associated with laser pigmentation removal include redness, swelling, and blistering. In rare cases, more serious side effects such as changes in skin color or texture can occur.
- Scarring: Although laser pigmentation removal is generally safe, there is a small risk of developing scars after the procedure.
FAQs about Laser Pigmentation Removal
Can I get Laser Pigmentation Removal when pregnant or breastfeeding?
Even though there is no evidence suggesting that laser pigmentation removal is harmful to pregnant or breastfeeding women, it is always best to err on caution. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it is best to wait until after you have finished breastfeeding before getting laser pigmentation removal.
How often should I get Laser Pigmentation Removal?
The frequency with which you will need to get laser pigmentation removal depends on the severity of your condition and the results you are trying to achieve. Most people require several treatments to see results, and these typically need to be spaced out by at least a few weeks.
How much does Laser Pigmentation Removal cost?
The cost of laser pigmentation removal in Singapore can vary depending on factors such as the size and location of the treatment area, as well as the severity of your condition. In general, most people pay between $500 and $2800 for a complete course of treatment.
Will my skin look different after Laser Pigmentation Removal?
Laser pigmentation removal can cause skin color or texture changes, particularly if you have a darker skin tone. Your skin may become lighter or paler after treatment, and in some cases, it can also become more sensitive.
What are the risks of Laser Pigmentation Removal?
As with any type of medical procedure, there are certain risks associated with laser pigmentation removal, including infection and scarring. However, most people tolerate laser pigmentation removal very well without any serious side effects.
Can I combine laser pigmentation removal with other skin treatments?
Yes, it is possible to combine laser pigmentation removal with other skin treatments, such as microdermabrasion or chemical peels. However, it is always best to speak to your doctor about potential risks or side effects.
With the right preparation and aftercare, laser pigmentation removal can be a safe and effective way to address unwanted pigmentation on the skin. At One Face Skin & Aesthetics Clinic, our team of skilled and experienced professionals can help you achieve the best possible results. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. Call: +65 6222 2262.
One Face Skin & Aesthetics Clinic
1 Tras Link, #02-01 Orchid Hotel, Singapore 078867
+65 6222 2262